“Le Capitole” at Limoges

50.00

Oil on canvas 60 x 81 cm

including post and packing

Categories: ,

Description

The first train to run at 125 mph (200 kph) in Europe was “Le Capitole” between Paris and Toulouse in 1967. It was given a distinctive red-and-grey livery. This picture represents the Toulouse-Paris service making its call at Limoges, a grand station building erected in the 1920’s. In the background is the ghost of a Forquenot 2-4-2, a type which performed with great distinction over this line for more than 40 years.