The 240Ps were rebuilds of old PO Pacifics, created by the brilliant mind of André Chapelon. They were his masterpiece. In terms of efficiency and power per ton, they were unequalled in the world. Introduced during the war, and increasingly chased into the far corners by the spread of electrification, they never had the chance to be used to the full extent of their capabilities – nor to be frequently photographed. All were gone by 1953.